Monday 12 December 2016

Kimberley Dynamiters Chabot signs with BCHL's Trail Smoke Eaters

The Kimberley Dynamiters leading goal and point scorer, Korbyn Chabot, has signed with the Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL) for the remainder of the season.

"I'm looking forward to a new start in [the BCHL]. The speed of the game is quicker too." Chabot said, "but most of all meeting new guys and having a new start with a new team."

"I match the kind of game that trail plays. Hard on the puck hitting every chance I get and I can put the puck in the net"

Chabot collected 20 goals and 14 assists in 25 games with the Nitro's this season, and has amassed 33 goals and 21 assists in 71 games, including 11 power play goals and 5 game winners.

The Cranbrook native first suited up for the Dynamiters as an AP in the 2014/15 season for four games, and was a part of the 2015/16 KIJHL Championship team. Chabot was also a prospect for the Tri-City Americans, being drafted in the ninth round of the WHL Bantam draft in 2014.

"It's always tough when you lose your top goal scorer and point getter," head coach and general manager Derek Stuart said. "At the same time, if any team loses just one guy, I don't think should to much of an effect if they are deep enough and I believe we are."

Stuart added that he has crunched some numbers: "I did a little bit of math, and if we take away Korbyn's 20 goals we are still averaging 3.9 goals per game as a team, so I think that is more than enough to win.

"I think we are deep enough that it will give some other guys an opportunity. I don't think that it will effect us too much."

As hard as it may be to lose the top scorer, the goal of the Kimberley Dynamiters is not just to win, but to develop players.

"One of our main objectives as an organization is moving players on to the next level." Stuart said "We are very proud to help another player achieve his goals."

As for Chabot, it is a bittersweet moment. "It sucks [having to leave], I have made some good life long friends on the team but I'm excited for a new start."

He has since registered his first point with his new team on December 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment