Saturday 12 October 2013

Nitro's lose 4-1 on the road to the Rockies



The Nitro's were handed their worst lost of the season while visiting Columbia Valley. And apparently no one showed up for the game, according to the boxscore. But my ticket indicated there was just over 125 people there.

I knew this game wasn't going to go well from the moment I got there. And here are my reasons:

  • I was almost not allowed into the game despite having a league pass. I was then asked if the name on the card, W. W. Ohlhausen, was me. Mr. Ohlhausen is the league president. So of course I said no. And then I was lectured about how Invermere season passes don't work in Kimberley. Which I agreed. Any how. It was messy and awkward. Hopefully next time I cover an away game this won't happen. So this didn't bode well.
  • Ironically the league president WAS in attendance at the game (could you imagine if I said yes to the earlier question?). And usually when the president of any organization watches, nothing goes according to plan.
  • When you are tops in the division, and playing on the road, the home team usually brings their 'A' game. Which Rockies goalie, Justin Miller, did. He stopped 43 of 44 shots.
  • More fans were watching and interested the CFL game on the TV then the actual game in front of them.
  • And lady luck was not on the Nitro's side. No bounces went their way.
I think their is a current conspiracy at work. The Nitro's had a very efficient power play. However, the past couple of games they have gotten 8+ power play chances in each. There is a point where it just becomes ridiculous, and seems that the officials are trying to bring down the power play efficiency. "Let's call a penalty with barely any time left in the period so that they get less time on the attack." "If we call a penalty now when the Nitro's were just hacked at, then they will be hurt." "During the face-off, guide it towards the Rockies."

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Nitro's Player of the Game was Darren Martin, the captain. Each of his point shots had effort behind them, including his power play goal.

Here is a vid of one the power which will highlight the unlucky bounces, and then some pictures from their compressed arena.





Remember to check out the full boxscore.

No comments:

Post a Comment